Monday, February 11, 2013

The Long Walk

SUNDAY



I am reading Stephen King's The Long Walk. Years ago my sister told me, it reminded me of something you would write. 

It's a totalitarian society and 100 boys have to walk a minimum of four miles an hour. If you slow down, you get 3 warnings and they you buy your ticket, which is a bullet to the head. The Hunger Games, 30 years ago. It's sparser than Hunger Games, but that's a pretty intricate trilogy. And King's vision is pretty sick, with the event televised and lots of live spectators by the side of the road. 

It's particularly poignant as I've been shoveling and plowing all weekend long and just want to stop. Luckily, i can take a break without someone blowing my head off. 

I've never seen snow like this. It is the second largest in CT history. At least it wasn't too cold out there today. It was 40F. It was 20F yesterday and -0 during the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment