Monday, January 28, 2013

Soul Food

Forgive my long absence. I was busy like all hell last week with work and the Psychosis that takes place at school. Morons run the assylum. 

Friday, at graduation, the director called up a 23 year old women to get her certificate for completing all of her levels. 

We had served donuts and bagels and her mouth was still full when she came up to the podium. Into the microphone he says, "We are going to wait for her while she swallows." 

I was horrified for this poor women, although only the native speakers seemed to get it.  Another teacher burst out laughing and said "I can't believe he said that!"

It was lucky none of the students seemed to get it, but hell, they can barely speak English. 

"I wish to thank you because I learn - ed so much." The woman who said this is a sweetheart and I only had her for the Learning Lab, but that is a mistake I would correct on the 1st day of class. All Spanish speakers start out pronouncing -ed verbs that way. But to graduate her when she speaks like that and say she no longer needs to take the TOEFL exam to get into a US University? That is a travesty. I used to teach TOEFL prep in an MBA program. Not a chance any of the three we graduated would pass it.

Earlier, at our monthly meeting, where he and his assistant treat me like soul food at a KKK meeting, he was trying to think of new places for field trips. "How about the World Trade Center? That would be nice."

We all looked in horror until one teacher said "Yeah, lets take a bunch of male Saudis to the WTC site. That won't cause any problems!"

"Oh, I meant the Empire State building."

Moron.

So, what to do? Today is a a day off (for testing) so I will continue to get my CV out there. It's snowing. Guess it's a Pink Floyd kind of day. Listening to;

Paris Theatre, London 1971
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Wembly 1975

The Capitals FINALLY won a game. HUZAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment